Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate for Water Treatment
Anyone can tell you that chlorine is used to treat swimming pools and drinking water. In fact, you might hear one to two mention that the swimming pool water has too much chlorine. Many people are unaware, however, that the chlorine used in water treatment comes in a variety of more complex forms.
Trichloroisocyanuric acid and sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate or anhydrous sodium dichloroisocyanurate are the two complex forms of chlorine used in water treatment. To Stabilize chlorine in the presence of the sun, these two chemicals are added to swimming pools and outdoor water features.
In 2001, the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Registration Act of the United States approved them for use in drinking water treatment as well. This article aims to shed more light on sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate.
What Is Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate?
Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate is a solid chlorine bleaching agent that is commonly used to treat water instead of sodium hypochlorite. It is used to disinfect drinking water as a source of free chlorine (in the form of hypochlorous acid, HOCl).
SDIC chemical is produced either as an anhydrous salt or as a dihydrate. Some common uses of sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate are as a detergent, industrial deodorant, disinfectant, and biocide. It’s found in a lot of water purification pills and filters today. It can also be used to convert alkoxyl-s-triazines to N-chlorinated alkoxy-s-triazines as a chlorine source.
How Does Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate Work?
When sodium dichloroisocyanurate is mixed with water, it quickly hydrolyzes, releasing free chlorine. This interacts with any organic matter to get rid of them after which it immediately dissociates and continues to release free chlorine.
As a result of the reaction of free accessible chlorine with natural organic matter, traditional chlorination of drinking water with elemental chlorine produces a number of by-products. WHO has developed criteria for drinking-water quality, which cover the safety of these various by-products.
Properties and Features of SDIC Dihydrate
- It is placed in the category of biocides/disinfectants
- Its chemical name is Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate with the formula C3-H-Cl2-N3-O3.Na.2H2-O
- Physical Appearance: White hygroscopic crystalline powder with a pungent odor.
- The molecular weight of this compound is 220.96
- Its Solubility in water in g/100ml is 25
- It is Environmentally friendly
- It has a relative density (water = 1): >1a and decomposes at 230°C
- It is a severe eye and mild skin irritant
Common Applications of Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate
- It may be used to disinfect and sterilize the living spaces of silkworms, animals, poultry, and fish.
- It can also be used to prevent wool from shrinking and in the textile industry is used in bleaching fabrics.
- Mostly used in swimming pools and industrial water systems as a disinfectant and algaecide (i.e. cooling, air washer, heat exchange, and sewage systems).
- It is used as an antimicrobial or disinfectant to sterilize drinking water, swimming pools, tableware, and the air, as well as to battle infectious diseases as a routine disinfectant.
- It is also used to sanitize and disinfect food and non-food contact surfaces, as well as to sanitize laundry.
Dangers Associated with SDIC Dihydrate
When heated and exposed to water, it decomposes. Toxic gases, including chlorine, are produced as a result. As such, the compound is an extremely powerful oxidant. I there are any combustible and reducing materials, they will react with it violently. Note that many compounds can react to it strongly.
With that in mind, there is quite a high risk of fire and explosion. Moreover, sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate is non-combustible, but it helps other compounds burn faster. It, therefore, ignites a fire and also emits irritant or hazardous vapors (or gases).
Reliable Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate Suppliers
For a long period, Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate for sale in FENGBAI COMPANY has been relied upon in different industries for disinfection and sanitization. Are you interested in purchasing some? Please contact us!